Friday, July 2, 2010

A Real Conan Run

Last weekend's US Long Orienteering Championships was the perfect Conan Run.

From 2010 Orienteering Trip

What's a Conan Run?

It's a term I use for a long, epic run that crosses vast distances. The term comes from my favorite clip in the movie Conan the Barbarian (fast forward to about 1 min in this clip) - it's a short segment where Conan and his buddy Subota, King of Thieves decided to go somewhere, and then there are a series of shots of them running - running through mountains, running across plains, running through deserts, day and night. It looks like they are running across the continent: wherever they go, they are running.


View Larger Map



Running Sunday's race at Fishtrap, WA was exactly like what I envisioned Conan to be doing - running on and on, across open grasslands, scorching heat, crossing vast distances, and always running. The race distance was 16km and it took me around 2hr18min - but the scenery was epic and the whole time I felt like Conan; well, minus the broad sword and I wasn't wearing a pile of furs....

No comments: