Friday, May 13, 2011

Eco-Beer

No fossil fuels were harmed in the drinking of this beer (well almost no fossil fuels):



Heard of the "100-Mile Diet"?  Well this is my "100-Mile Drinking Diet" - that is drinking products only made within a 100 miles.  Here in Whitehorse, this pretty much limits us to Yukon Brewing Company products.  I just re-discovered my growlers, and so I refilled them on my way home from work today.  Fossil-Fuel-Free elements of tonight's refreshment include:
  • locally produced beer, using local, sustainably produced City of Whitehorse drinking water,
  • powered by renewable hydroelectricity for the Whitehorse dam,
  • decanted directly into my growler bottle at the brewery (no transportation, other than rolling the keg over to the taps)
  • using a re-usable glass bottle,
  • and conveyed back home in my Xtracycle!
I'm sure the grain and other ingredients are from outside, but really that is a small proportion of the total embodied energy to this tasty beverage.  

No comments: