Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Whitehorse to Mayo & Return on one tank of gas (821 km)

I had some work last week up in Mayo drilling a couple of new water supply wells for the town.  Over the past couple of years I've gotten interested in "eco-driving" - that is modifying my driving behaviour to maximize fuel efficiency.  So, I decided to see if I could make 1000km on one tank of gas.  I didn't quite make that, but I did get to Mayo and back on 66L of gas.  I turns out my car has an 80L tank, but that includes a 12 L "reserve", so it tells you are empty at 68L used.

And no, I don't drive a Prius or a Fit - it's my big old German tank - a 1991 Audi turbo quattro - a big all-wheel drive sedan.  Not bad eh?


So, how did I get this far on one tank?

Here is the secret: I drove the speed limit.

Yup, that's pretty much it.  Imagine if everyone drove the speed limit - we could probably reduce vehicle fuel usage in the Yukon by 20%!  Ok, I had a couple of other "hypermileing" tricks, but I don't know how much of a difference they made:
  • light load (just me in the car)
  • coasting down big hills with the clutch depressed
  • very slow acceleration
  • shift up early (5th gear as low as 60km/hr)
  • NEVER touch the brakes if you can avoid it
  • no radio or other electrical loads

Another interesting thing is I had a really good tailwind going north to Mayo.  I averaged about 31 mpg on the way up.  On the way back to Whitehorse, there was almost no wind (or even a slight headwind), and my mileage was much lower - 28 mpg.  Interesting that the wind could make a 10% difference, even for a low-drag car such as mine.

David MacKay has a nice summary of the effect of speed on fuel efficiency of a car in his excellent book "Sustainable Energy - without the hot air".

1 comment:

yukondude said...

I'm also one of those people that tracks mileage (kilometreage?) closely. Over the years I've discovered that my 99 Ford Ranger small truck gets its best fuel efficiency at about 90kph. Just speeding up to the limit at 100 makes a huge difference. In Northern Ontario, where the road is curvy and the limit is actually 90kph, I feel like I can go all day on a tank. Not so in Alberta on the straight highways and a 110 limit.