Wednesday, October 12, 2011

bicycle events & cycling advocacy links

At our Transition Whitehorse meeting tonight we discussed the ideas around doing a bicycle event and perhaps establishing a cycling coalition in Whitehorse.

On the topic of events, many cites are now doing Sunday street events were streets are closed to cars and they have community cycling and active recreation events.  The grandaddy of this in recent times is Bogota's Ciclovia:





Portland Oregon has something similar called "Sunday Parkways":

As for bicycle advocacy groups, here are a couple I know of:

1 comment:

Chris said...

Boston has something like that too - on Sundays, they close a long section of Memorial Dr. along the Charles River to cars, I think from Memorial Day to Columbus Day. It's really nice to have such a wide, nicely paved section of road open only to bikes. I hadn't ridden in a really long time, but I wanted to start bike commuting, especially when the weather is dry in the summer. I had just purchased myself a folding bike, but I was still to nervous to ride on the road, and I didn't want to ride on the sidewalk. This closed stretch of road proved the perfect place for me to practice, and now I'm pretty comfortable, even in traffic.